[Ifeffit] Fwd: problem compiling ifeffit

René Genz liebundartig at freenet.de
Sun Nov 10 05:01:46 CST 2013

Hi Matt, hi Bruce,

no need to point fingers and it was no trouble for me.
Thanks for fixing the problem so fast :)

I am sorry for spamming you Bruce.
I wrote to you directly, because I followed the "BUGS AND LIMITATIONS"
paragraph at
http://bruceravel.github.io/demeter/pods/installation.pod.html#BUGS_AND_LIMITATIONS

Today, I gave the installation of Demeter on Fedora 18 x86_64 another
try and at the end of the process (including hacks) I could start
dathena and other programs of Demeter. Though no data processing done, yet.

Some more notes/questions.

### ifeffit
I noticed that there is PGPlot package in RPMFusion (additional
repository to Fedora).
Can I use this package and skip the
./PGPLOT_install
step or shall I shun the package?
If you have no experience with this package I can give it a try on
Fedora 18 x86_64.

Due to the more recent version of libpng on Fedora 18 I had to use
./PGPLOT_install --no-png
otherwise I would get major problems during compilation of
ifeffit/demeter (wxGTK does not cope with libpng12-devel; removing
libpng would remove a lot of other programs as well).

The output of ./configure still contains:
"./configure: line 3355: #include: command not found"
but this is only a minor problem.

### demeter
With the latest version of the Demeter git repo there is an error in the
output of
$ perl ./Build.PL

on line 40 of demeter/Build.PL
MooseX::Types:LaxNum
cannot be replaced with
MooseX::Types::LaxNum
to fix the problem. At least it did not work out for me.
If you do that you will get the following output:
$ perl ./Build.PL
Checking prerequisites...
   requires:
     !  Couldn't find a $VERSION in prerequisite MooseX::Types::LaxNum

So I installed the perl package manually
$ sudo cpan -i 'MooseX::Types:LaxNum'
and commented line 40 in demeter/Build.PL in order to continue.

In the output of
$ ./Build test
several lines point out that "1.14_01  isn't numeric in numeric ge (>=)
at (eval 1820 line 1)".

And the final summary is:
---8<---
Test Summary Report:
Failed 2/44 test programs. 0/2646 subtests failed.
---8<---

I will try the installation on Ubuntu 12.04 i686 in order to find out if
some test programs fail there as well.

Although the return code was non-zero (255 that is) I continued with
$ ./Build install
$ echo $?
0

and it worked out just fine. dartemis and dathena could be started.

Unfortunately I close the terminal window before creating a log.
I will redo the installation of Demeter on Fedora 18 x86_64 in order to
automate the installation for reuse. In the process I can create logs as
required.

--
Kind regards,
René