[Ifeffit] LCF

Jason Gaudet jason.r.gaudet at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 13:51:29 CST 2013

It depends how you want to set up your guess-def-set parameters.  For
argument I'll describe a system of BCC Mo metal and MoO3, where you want to
determine what fraction of Mo is in each.

My usual method is just to set each path as N=1, SO2=amp_O for Mo-O, and
N=1, SO2=amp_Mo for Mo-Mo.

Then, in guess-def-set, I'd GUESS
N_Mo = 8
N_O = 6
SET (SO2 as determined by my standards)
so2=0.87
and DEFINE my amplitudes
amp_Mo = N_Mo*so2
amp_O = N_O*so2

(And of course you want all the other parameters as well, I'm just showing
the amplitude ones.)

Then, once I get my N_Mo and N_O I can scale these to my expected
coordination numbers and see if I get reasonable contributions for each.
(Is N_Mo/8 + N_O/6 = 1?)

If I had a really good reason to believe all Mo metal in my sample had an
average Mo-Mo coordination of exactly 8 and all Mo oxide had an average
Mo-O coordination of exactly 6, I could define things another way.

SET
N_Mo = 8
N_O = 6
so2=0.87
DEFINE
amp_Mo = N_Mo*so2*Frac_metal
amp_O = N_O*so2*(1-Frac_metal)
GUESS
Frac_metal=0.5

And that constrains all the amplitude parameters so the only result is what
atomic fraction of Mo is present in the metal phase.

Makes sense?

-Jason