[Ifeffit] normalization methods

Matthew Marcus mamarcus at lbl.gov
Thu May 16 11:37:36 CDT 2013

That 'flattening' function seems over-complicated to me and makes an artificial discontinuity, at least in slope, at E0 which is
a somewhat arbitrary quantity.  Why not simply divide by the post-edge quadratic (norm(E) = (mu(E)-pre_edge_line(E))/quadratic(E))?
In some cases, where there's a big curvature, it may make sense to divide mu(E) by the quadratic, then subtract a pre-edge.  What I've never
solved satisfactorily is the case in which the extrapolation of the pre-edge line crosses the post-edge, so mu(E)-pre_edge_line(E)<0 for
some part of the range.  I've never understood why this happens.
	mam