[Ifeffit] normalization methods

George Sterbinsky GeorgeSterbinsky at u.northwestern.edu
Wed May 15 15:43:42 CDT 2013

By standard normalization, I meant subtraction of a linear pre-edge and
multiplication by a constant. If this treatment is applied to the XAS
spectra before subtraction, one does not obtain an XMCD spectrum that goes
to zero in the post edge region for the data I described. As you noted,
that is what would be expected given the p-XAS and n-XAS have different
slopes in the post-edge region.

On the other hand, standard normalization + flattening does result in pre
and post-edge regions that go to zero, again as one might expect. So
perhaps, the background modeled by standard normalization + flattening is
an accurate representation of the real background in some cases and can be
used in quantitative analysis. Is there reason to believe that cannot be
the case?

Thanks,
George