[Ifeffit] normalization methods

Matthew Marcus mamarcus at lbl.gov
Wed May 15 10:41:55 CDT 2013

The way I commonly do pre-edge is to fit with some form plus a power-law singularity representing the initial rise of the edge, then
subtract out that "some form".  Now, that form can be either linear, linear+E^(-2.7) (for transmission), or linear+ another power-law
singularity centered at the center passband energy of the fluorescence detector.  That latter is for fluorescence data which is affected by
the tail of the elastic/Compton peak from the incident energy.  Whichever form is taken gets subtraccted from the whole data range, resulting
in data which is pre-edge-subtracted but not yet post-edge normalized.  The path then splits; for EXAFS, the usual conversion to k-space, spline
fitting in the post-edge, subtraction and division is done, all interactively.  Tensioned spline is also available due to request of a prominent user.
For XANES, the post-edge is fit as previously described.  Thus, there's no distinction made between data above and below E0 in XANES, whereas
there is such a distinction in EXAFS.
	mam