[Ifeffit] normalization methods

Matthew Marcus mamarcus at lbl.gov
Wed May 15 09:57:14 CDT 2013

What I typically do for XANES is divide mu-mu_pre_edge_line by a linear function which goes through the post-edge oscillations.
This division goes over the whole data range, including pre-edge.  If the data has obvious curvature in the post-edge, I'll use a higher-order
polynomial.  For transmission data, what sometimes linearizes the background is to change the abscissa to 1/E^2.7 (the rule-of-thumb absorption
shape) and change it back afterward.  All this is, of course, highly subjective and one of the reasons for taking extended XANES data (300eV,
for instance).  For short-range XANES, there isn't enough info to do more than divide by a constant.  Once this is done, my LCF programs allow
a slope adjustment as a free parameter, thus muNorm(E) = (1+a*(E-E0))*Sum_on_ref{x[ref]*muNorm[ref](E)}.  A sign that this degree of freedom
may be being abused is if the sum of the x[ref] is far from 1 or if a*(Emax-E0) is large.  Don't get me started on overabsorption :-)
	mam