[Ifeffit] Installing on Mac OSX Lion

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Thu May 9 20:19:11 CDT 2013

Hi Nate,

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 7:31 PM, Nate Turner <nate.turner.2788 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I believe I have successfully installed PGPLOT, Ifeffit, and the horae suite
> of programs onto my mac OSX and have constructed executable files for
> artemis, athena, atoms, and hephaestus. I am now at a loss however, as when
> I try to run them they fail and say they are looking for _iff_exec. Is this
> part of the Ifeffit program? After I built Ifeffit, I can't seem to find any
> executable file that opens Ifeffit. Did I not successfully install Ifeffit?

I'm not sure -- it could be that it is installed but not being found
when you try to run it.

It would be helpful to have more details.  Like, when you say you
successfully installed PGPLOT, Ifeffit, and the horae suite, where did
these get installed to?

When you try to run these, what are you doing (typing a command in a
terminal, clicking on a file?), and what messages do you see.

> Also, what is the purpose of iXAFS program for Mac OS X? when I run it I am
> asked to direct the program to the data files and there is a button for each
> of the horae suite programs but they don't launch anything.

iXAFS is an App that bundles together the horae and ifeffit programs.
It should not be necessary for running Ifeffit if you install it
yourself, but looking at the contents of this App (that is,
.....iXAFS.app/Contents/Resources) might give some hints.

> I am very lost by all this and would appreciate the help.

If you've really installed PGPLOT and Ifeffit on Mac OS X, I'll bet
you sort of know what you're doing, and that the problem may simply be
in setting an Environmental Variable or something similar.