[Ifeffit] Possible bug in atoms files generation by Artemis

Matthew Marcus mamarcus at lbl.gov
Wed Mar 27 10:33:15 CDT 2013

Some users do have FEFFx (x>6l) on their own, so it would be useful to prepare Artemis/Demeter/Larch... for them and provide
methods for using higher versions if an executable is present.

What does the multipole self-energy do?  Is that the thing that requires the dielectric response?  As you point out, the purpose of
the exercise is to analyze unknowns, so by definition one doesn't have the dielectric response.  We can't expect a program that runs on
a PC to do a proper, all-electrons, excited-state calculation.

One thing I do is to use experimental data from models as sources of amplitudes and phases.  At present, I do this using my own
multishell fit program.  Is there an easy way to do this in your programs?  What I think would be nice is a subsystem which allows one
to do the filtering and extraction of amp and phase from a model .chi file from within the program, rather than having to create
FEFF-path-like files.

As long as we're talking wish-list, I'd love to have some way of defining atom positions using symbolic variables and have the system
compute the path distances automatically as functions of those variables.  That way, I could, for instance, define a dopant system in terms
of the displacements of the near-neighbors without having to do the geometry by hand, which is difficult, tedious and error-prone.
	mam