[Ifeffit] Building ifeffit Mac Mountain Lion

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Thu Mar 21 21:12:38 CDT 2013

Hi Jeff,

Hope it's OK, but I'm CCing this to the ifeffit mailing list.     I've
officially abandoned support for the Fortran version of Ifeffit, but I
know many people are still using it, so I'll try to give some
pointers.   I haven't tried building on 10.8 (but Larch works fine for
me on it).

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 3:34 PM, Jeff Terry <terryj at iit.edu> wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> I am trying to build ifeffit for Mac OS 10.8 (Mountain Lion). I have built pgplot and the cpg library manually but cannot build it with your script.
>
> I get the following error when building with the script.
>
> Do you have any suggestions as to what might be causing this or another way that I can link pgplot to ifeffit?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff
>

> gfortran -c -O2 -fPIC /Users/jterry/Downloads/ifeffit-1.2.11c/pgplot/drivers/gidriv.f
> /Users/jterry/Downloads/ifeffit-1.2.11c/pgplot/drivers/gidriv.f:208.72:
>
>      &         RECL=255, FORM='BINARY', IOSTAT=IER)
>                                                                         1
> Warning: FORM specifier in OPEN statement at (1) has invalid value 'BINARY'
> /Users/jterry/Downloads/ifeffit-1.2.11c/pgplot/drivers/gidriv.f:240.72:
>
>      &               RECL=255, FORM='BINARY', IOSTAT=IER)
>                                                                         1
> Warning: FORM specifier in OPEN statement at (1) has invalid value 'BINARY'
> /Users/jterry/Downloads/ifeffit-1.2.11c/pgplot/drivers/gidriv.f:654.21:
>
>          BLKOUT(0) = 254
>                      1
> Error: Arithmetic overflow converting INTEGER(4) to INTEGER(1) at (1). This check can be disabled with the option -fno-range-check
> make: *** [gidriv.o] Error 1
> gfortran -u -Wall -fPIC -O -o pgpack /Users/jterry/Downloads/ifeffit-1.2.11c/pgplot/fonts/pgpack.f
>   "-Wall", referenced from:
>      -u command line option
> make: *** [grfont.dat] Error 1
>  = Cleaning up and preparing for test

I think the last version of Ifeffi, from
https://github.com/newville/ifeffit should work, at least to compile
PGPLOT correctly.    I've put most of the code I used to build Ifeffit
on Mac OSX in the src/macosx directory on this repository:
     https://github.com/newville/ifeffit/tree/master/src/macosx

Though, of course this makes many assumptions (such as, that gfortran
and XCode are installed), and I really can't offer any support for
these scripts and codes.

Hope that helps,