[Ifeffit] Reduced chi square values versus F-tests for second shell fits

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Thu Mar 21 15:30:33 CDT 2013

Statistical parameters can be used with any kind of fit.  I would
consider that as a sort of tautology.  Given that a fit is performed
within a particular statistical framework, the tools standard to that
framework are the tools to use.  Our software does not police that
your fitting model is defensible, only that it is expressed correctly
in a numerical sense.  Thus RCS and other statistical parameters are
always well defined.

That said, I am very skeptical of any analysis of only the second
shell.  I explain my reasoning in some detail here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/ifeffit@millenia.cars.aps.anl.gov/msg03563.html

If I understand you correctly, you are doing something similar to what
that other person was doing.  By not including the first shell in the
fit, you are artificially excluding correlations between the two
spectral regions and between the parameters you use to model them.

I have no doubt that you are better able to model the Fourier
components of the second shell in the limited sense of evaluating
misfit when you exclude the first shell from the fit.  You made the
rather arbitrary decision to exclude a major source of uncertainty
from your fitting model.  That does not make your fit more defensible.

Of course, there is always the possibility that I didn't quite
understand the question....

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

 Homepage:    http://xafs.org/BruceRavel