[Ifeffit] Basic EXAFS question

Scott Calvin scalvin at sarahlawrence.edu
Thu Jun 27 09:17:46 CDT 2013

Hi Darren,

It's probably not doable in a conventional experiment. You're going to have great big tantalum edges right on top of your germanium XANES. And then you've got a forest of tantalum fluorescence lines near your germanium K-alpha lines.

So if your thin film is at all thick compared to an absorption length of tantalum, then the probe depth is going to change sharply across the spectrum, and that will show up in your signal. If it's not that thick, then your germanium signal will be very weak. And in either case, you're going to have a hard time separating out the germanium fluorescence from the tantalum fluorescence, while the latter is varying dramatically in intensity.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College