[Ifeffit] Basic EXAFS question

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Thu Jun 27 09:11:26 CDT 2013

Hi Darren,

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 8:48 AM, Darren Dale <dsdale24 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> If I have a Ta(1-x)Ge(x)O(y) thin film, with Germanium concentration
> of a few percent, is it possible in principle to get useable
> fluorescence-mode EXAFS spectra around the Ge K edge (11.1 keV)? Or is
> it likely that the spectra would be complicated by additional Ge
> fluorescence excited by processes triggered by Tantalum L edge
> absorption (9.88, 11.13, 11.68 keV)?
>
> Thanks,
> Darren

Ack -- I think the Ta L2 edge (33 eV above Ge K edge) is going to make
that very hard.  You might be able to isolate Ge Kalpha from the Ta L
lines with a crystal analyzer, but the change in penetration depth at
the Ta L2 edge is going be huge, unless the film is much much less
than an absorption length.