[Ifeffit] Is good EXAFS data possible with 0.01 transmission coefficient

Matthew Marcus mamarcus at lbl.gov
Thu Jul 25 19:02:21 CDT 2013

Just to amplify a bit on Carlo's point:  The transmitted signal is the sum of the transmissions through different areas of the sample, thus

	T/I0 = < exp(-mu(E)*t) >

where <...> is the spatial average.  However, what you measure is

	tmu_eff(E) = ln(I0/T) = ln<exp(-mu(E)*t)>  .

If t is everywhere the same, then the averaging brackets go away and you recover something proportional to mu(E).  However, if t varies
a lot, then you're doing something non-linear.

Consider the following scenario:  The sample consists of 90% nice, uniform material and 10% pinhole.  Now imagine that the transmissions
as a function of energy for the two different regions look like this (read this in a constant-width font):

	below edge		Above_edge(chi=0)	Above_edge(chi=0.1)
hole		1		1			1				(I'm ignoring non-resonant, background abs)
Mn		1		exp(-4)			exp(-4.4)			edge jump is 4, modulation of mu = 0.1

Now, the total transmission is 0.90*(transmission of Mn)+0.10*(transmission of hole):

	below edge		Above_edge(chi=0)	Above_edge(chi=0.1)
		1		0.1+0.9*exp(-4)	0.1+0.9*exp(-4.4)
		1		0.116484		0.11105

Taking the log, we have the percieved absorbance:
	below edge		Above_edge(chi=0)	Above_edge(chi=0.1)
		0		2.150001		2.19778
If there were no hole effect, the numbers here would be 0, 4 and 4.4.  Not only is the edge jump reduced, so the sample
"looks" a lot thinner than it is, but the change in absorbance above the edge now reads only 1.2% of the edge jump,
when it was supposed to read 10%.  The XAS spectrum is highly flattened on top.  Thus, a spectrum which should look like this
           *
          * *
          * *
          *  *
          *    *
         *
********

may wind up looking like this:

           *
          *  *
         **    *
         *
********

If you have harmonics or any sort of stray light getting into the transmission chamber, that's  effectively like
a hole in your sample and causes the same problem.  If you have a monochromator glitch, the energy distribution
and harmonic content change during the glitch and the beam shape can change too, resulting in a non-normalization
which gets worse for thick samples.

This reminds me of a brain-teaser Anatoly Frenkel posted here a while back.  He showed two spectra for Rh foil (K-edge) taken on
the same beamline on different runs, and the second had attenuated EXAFS and distorted XANES relative to the first, and he asked why that was.
The answer was that the second time, the beamline was misadjusted in such a way as to admit some white light with the monochromatic.

I hope this clears it up.  What to do about it is a lot less clear.
	mam