[Ifeffit] Is good EXAFS data possible with 0.01 transmission coefficient

Scott Calvin scalvin at sarahlawrence.edu
Thu Jul 25 15:33:40 CDT 2013

Hi Damon,

So you're saying you expect the total absorption of the sample to be less than 0.01 absorption lengths? In other words, if the detectors and electronics were identical, you would expect It = I0 exp(-0.01)?

While possible to measure in transmission, such a sample would normally be measured in fluorescence. If done that way, the measurement is routine.

Or am I misunderstanding your description? (I am not entirely sure what you mean by "transmission coefficient.")

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College