[Ifeffit] Artemis Autosave Files

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Tue Jul 16 06:06:03 CDT 2013

I noticed both of these issues last week while doing a training
course at the Thai synchrotron.  Both should be resolved in the
upcoming release.

> A couple of times "Feff" module in Artemis stopped responding and I had
> to force close the program. Now whenever I click on .fpj files I see a
> window which asks me to restore from previous autosave files. I click
> "Cancel" this dialogue box disappears but selected .fpj file is not
> automatically loaded. Next time when I try to open another .fpj file, I
> get the same window and behavior again. Is there any way to delete these
> autosave file? I have searched in mail archieve but there is no querry
> regarding it for this "Demeter" version.

It does indeed seem that I don't delete autosave files when you choose
not to import them.  I will fix that.

Of course, the issue with autosave files seems less important to me
than your "Artemis stopped responding" problem.  It is certainly
possible that the pathfind can take a long, long time if you choose to
compute paths from a very large cluster.  But I am not aware of a
problem that casues Artemis to simple freeze.  If you could show me an
example that I can reproduce on one of my own computers, that would be
helpful.

> Since I have a bunch of Artemis fits on my PC, to save time I select
> "File" and then "Close" to close the current fit and then open another
> Artemis fit instead of "File" and "Exit". In this way when I open
> another Artemis fit (.fpj) file, I see a couple of "Feff Calculations"
> in the main Artemis tool bar. How ever I usually don't see these many
> "Feff Calculations" if I completely close the Artemis and then reopen
> the same file. Is there any way to solve this behavior? Screen shots of
> both the problems are attached.

Artemis was not taking sufficient care to remove all Feff calculations
from its work space on disk when closing a project.  Until the next
release comes with a fix for this problem, the best work around is to
stop and restart Artemis.

  Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

  Homepage:    http://xafs.org/BruceRavel