[Ifeffit] Help with importing binary files from NSLS BM X15B in athena

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Wed Jan 30 09:03:49 CST 2013

On Wednesday, January 30, 2013 02:17:35 AM Raoul-Marie Couture wrote:
> I'm trying to import binary files generated at BM X15B of NSLS, at the S
> K-edge. I selected the corresponding plugin, and Athena (Demeter 0.9.14)
> does not import the columns 7-10 containing the Io, It, IF and S
> Kalpha-fluo. It only imports the first few columns and they don't contain
> the information I need. If I ask Athena to import more columns it crashes
> and exit. When I use the utility at BM X15B to convert the binary files in
> simple text files, Athena does not recognize the text files as data file.
> I'm I doing something wrong ? Any idea how to solve this problem ? I have
> attached a binary file, its text translation (using the utility available
> at BM X15B), and a screenshot of what happens when I import a binary file.

The problem seems to be one of column selection.  I am suspicious that
a detail of how the data are saved to the binary files may have
changed since I wrote the X15B plugin many years ago.

Attached are two file that you should be able to drop in place on top
of your current installation.  Put both files in

  C:\strawberry\perl\site\lib\Demeter\Plugins

The file "X15B.pm" wil replace the version of the file that is already
there.

The file "x15b.demeter_conf" is new.

Make sure that you save them with filenames *exactly* as written
above.  For instance, if you let Outlook save "X15B.pm" as
"X15B.pm.txt", it won't be recognized by Athena and everything I say
below won't work.

The new file will allow you configure the X15B plugin.  In the Plugin
Registry page, rightt click on the X15B entry.  See:

http://bruceravel.github.com/demeter/aug/other/plugin.html#athena%27spluginregistry

The variables set using that configuration file, tell Athena which
columns from the original data file (also which columns from the text
conversion using the beamlilne tool) should be preserved when Athena
converts the binary blob to an ascii column file.

Most of the columns are filled with zeros, which is why the plugin
wants to discard those columns.

Side note: Athena deals very pooly with ascii data file that don't
have the energy in the first column, which is why it has trouble
reading the text file from the beamline tool.

I would like to hear back from you about how this works out.  If it
works well for you, then it will be included in the next release of
the software.  If there are still problems -- then I need to know.

PS: It is possible that the "x15b.demeter_conf" file has the columns
for narrow and wide backwards.  Let me know if you think that's the
case.  I am writing this email without wandering down to X15B to ask
Paul the details.

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

 Homepage:    http://xafs.org/BruceRavel