[Ifeffit] Different R-factor values

Christopher Patridge patridge at buffalo.edu
Fri Jan 25 12:11:22 CST 2013

Thank you for the discussion Matt and Jason,

My main objective was to decide between the two different reported
R-factors in some older Artemis fit file logs.  I suspect that the
analysis was prematurely completed because the user found small R-factor
values printed out along with the other fit statistics near the
beginning of the fit log.  Scrolling down the log file to the area which
gives;

R-factor for this data set = ?
k1,k2,k3 weightings R-factors = ?

This R-factor is the average R-factor of the k-weights and much larger
say,  0.01 above vs. 0.07-0.08 making a typical "good fit" to a single
data set into a rather questionable one.

Looking at more current fit logs from Demeter (attached, just a quick
example), the R-factor which is printed near the beginning of the fit
file is equal to the average R-factor for the k-weightings.  Therefore
the value found in the earlier Artemis file logs must have been faulty
or buggy as was said so one should not rely on that value to evaluate
the fits.  Sorry for any confusion but this is all in the name of
weeding out good/bad analysis....

Thanks again,

Chris

Christopher J. Patridge, PhD