[Ifeffit] (D)Artemis and (D)Athena crash - perl not responding

Ravel, Bruce bravel at bnl.gov
Wed Jan 16 16:25:53 CST 2013

Matthias,

The Artemis log file that you sent opens and runs its fit to completion in a reasonable way on the Windows 7 machine here at my beamline.

As you no doubt saw, the message in the log fle is "Out of memory".

I suspect that this gives a hint about the problem.  One of the shortcomings of the current software is that it is based on Ifeffit, a library of exafs-related routines which is written in Fortran and which is related to code that Matt wrote way back (in some previous century) when he and I were in grad school.  One of the problems with the dialect of Fortran that Ifeffit is written in is that it does not have dynamic memory allocation.  This means that Ifeffit is not able to request memory from the operating system as needed.  Instead, it requests a rather large block of memory at start-up and holds it in reserve in case it is needed.  Eventually, it will run out of memory.  If you search the mailing list, you will find many example of problems related to people attempting to load many dozens of data sets into Athena and eventually exhausting Ifeffit's memory store.

If your computer has rather little on-board memory, or if you are running lots of other memory-intensive program, or if you are running several instances of Ifeffit, you may exhaust your computer's capacity.  Because of the "out of memory" message in the log file, I suspect that is what is happening to you.

The very long time that it took Artemis to give up the ghost and die, suggests that large amounts of memory were being swapped to disk as Ifeffit was trying to start and then trying to fail because memory had been exhausted.

Do you think you are in one of those situations?  Do you observe this behavior on another computer?  (I suspect not, because your project file runs just fine on my computer here at my beamline.)  Do you observe this behavior if you manually halt all the other things running on your computer?  Or right after rebooting (when, presumably, lots of other stuff isn't running)?