[Ifeffit] S02 question

Scott Calvin scalvin at sarahlawrence.edu
Fri Jan 11 07:42:11 CST 2013

Hi Eugenio,

It has generally been found that S02 is transferrable, even from metals to oxides!

In practice, the bigger effect is generally sample and measurement issues. For example, if you are measuring powders in transmission and the grain size is larger than a small fraction of the absorption length, then the EXAFS will be suppressed and mimic a smaller S02. If your standard is then a metal foil, the effective S02 for your powder will be smaller than the foil, not because of an intrinsic difference in absorption, but because of the distortion due to grain size.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College