[Ifeffit] Larch 0.9.17 available for download and testing

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Tue Jan 8 16:07:28 CST 2013

Hi Bruce,

Again, sorry (ever so slightly -- the skiing was great!!) for the
delay.   I think (not 100% sure) I understand have solved the trouble
with wxmplot on ubuntu.

On an ubuntu 12.04 system (that had been upgraded a few times, and is
begging to be updated to 12.10), I saw that importing wxmplot raised
an error because maplotlib requires wx version 2.8 or greater but a
regular old "import wx" was using the antique wx 2.6 series. I would
be tempted to say that ubuntu is acting strangely by assuming "import
wx" means "oldest possible version of a library", but  I'm sure fixing
at my end is easier than fixing all installed Ubuntu systems.

I've updated wxmplot to version 0.9.11, which now correctly requires
wx 2.8 or higher.  You should be able to now do easy_install or
install with 'python setup.py install' from the wxmplot-0.9.11 source
kit linked at http://newville.github.com/wxmplot/installation.html

I also had to make sure that larch was insisting that wx 2.8 or higher
was being used.  These changes are now pushed into the github
distribution.

With these changes, I could successfully install wxmplot and larch on
an Ubuntu.   I think that must be the same problem you were seeing,
but I'd be happy to hear your experience.

--Matt