[Ifeffit] copper 1st shell coordination number

Sven L. M. Schroeder sven.schroeder at gnomikos.com
Wed Jan 2 05:00:08 CST 2013

Dear Zhaomo Tian

Yes, there’s a high likelihood that you have a strong self-absorption effect in your fluorescence-yield spectrum. Perhaps compare your spectrum to a Cu foil transmission spectrum as well. Pay attention particularly to the XANES distortions as you go over the ionisation threshold (edge step): features below the edge should have exaggerated amplitudes and features above the edge should have reduced amplitudes. The EXAFS amplitudes should be, at least in a first approximation, reduced by a constant factor, which is what your 1st shell fit seems to confirm. The pre-edge background probably curves upwards ‘too early’ as well, i.e., at lower photon energies compared the transmission spectrum.

The strength of the self-absorption effect depends on the X-ray incidence angle relative to your Cu film plane and the angle at which your detector was placed: maximum self-absorption for  grazing incidence/normal detection, minimum for normal incidence/grazing detection.

Best wishes

Sven

--

Sven L.M. Schroeder ( <mailto:s.schroeder at manchester.ac.uk> mailto:s.schroeder at manchester.ac.uk)

Professor of Applied Physical Chemistry

School of Chemical Engineering and Analytical Science (CEAS)

The University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PL, United Kingdom

 <http://www.slmslab.info/> http://www.slmslab.info

Also at:

School of Chemistry, The University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PL, United Kingdom

Tel +44 (161) 306 4502

Fax +44 (161) 306 8867

Office: Room C57 (Jackson's Mill)

DISCLAIMER

The views expressed within this message are those of the sender, not those of The University of Manchester or one of its units. While all emails and attachments are scanned for viruses before sending, we cannot accept any responsibility for viruses, so please scan all emails and attachments. This email is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete this email immediately.