[Ifeffit] copper 1st shell coordination number

Scott Calvin scalvin at sarahlawrence.edu
Tue Jan 1 19:11:51 CST 2013

You're thinking about this the right way, Zhaomo Tian.

The measurement should come primarily from the bulk portion--even electron yield, which is most surface sensitive, will probe deep enough for that, and fluorescence or transmission certainly would.

Are you getting a reasonable value for sigma2? If you have a negative sigma2 and a coordination number that is too small, that suggests some sort of data problem. If, on the other hand, you're getting a more typical value for sigma2 (in the 0.001 to 0.01 angstrom^2) range, then that suggests you're seeing something structural in the sample. Could there be vacancies? Some sort of non-close-packed structure? A modest degree of oxidation or other impurities?

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College