[Ifeffit] Demeter installation (under Ubuntu)

Ravel, Bruce bravel at bnl.gov
Tue Jan 1 08:00:05 CST 2013

Hi all,

A couple weeks ago, Denis Testamale reported this problem with Athena and Artemis after upgrading his computer to Ubuntu 12.10:

> ##Then, a possible bug. It is reproducible everytime:
> - I launch Dathena from the command line without specifying the name of
> the project I want to open
> - I try to open a project (an old style Athena project) from the GUI
> (for example located at /home/denis/pathtothefolder/athena.prj)
> - I get an error message (a pop-up window, the terminal is quiet) saying
> '/home/denis/athena.prj is not readable', i.e. it looks for my file in
> my home folder and doesn't take into consideration the path to the file
> I input in the 'import data' dialog.
> - if I copy athena.prj from /home/denis/pathtothefolder/ to /home/denis/
> then it works.
> - a workaround is: 'dathena /home/denis/pathtothefolder/athena.prj'

This misbehavior did not happen on earlier versions of Ubuntu.

I have since fixed this. If you are a linux user downloading my software from GitHub, you will not see this problem.  And I don't see this behavior on Windows.

Here are some notes I made after installing Ubuntu 12.10 on one of my computers.  I had some issues that others might run into.

   http://cars9.uchicago.edu/ifeffit/Demeter/UbuntuQuantal

Happy New Year, everyone!