[Ifeffit] Importing Multiple Data Sets into Athena

John Hayes ginger.jesus at usask.ca
Thu Feb 21 01:53:17 CST 2013

Hi All,

It seems this has blown up in a way that I never intended. I had sent an
email privately to Bruce, but it seems I should send it to the group as
well (with a few changes to address some points already brought up):

I wanted to apologize for being flippant (I think that's the right word,
but articulation is not my strong suit) in my last email to you. The line
"I find your lack of faith...disturbing" was meant to be an allusion to
Star Wars, and was meant to be a joke rather than an attack. I realize,
upon re-reading the email, you do not know me and my...unique...sense of
humor, and that the tone I had intended (genial), the allusion (which it
seems was picked up), and ultimately the joke (which was a bad one),
probably did not come through. Anyways, to put it plainly, I'm sorry I
offended you.

To Matt: The implication was never meant to be that Bruce should do what I
wanted or be punished. (I realize that Vader was force choking the Admiral
when he said the line, but when I wrote the original email the line just
sort of popped into my head and I wrote it, without thinking about the
context of the moment.) I think this may be one of those times where a tone
of voice that seems clear in the head does not get communicated on paper.
Your point about actively contributing to Demeter is well taken, and if my
coding knowledge was anywhere above non-existent, I would have been more
than willing to help fix the problem and further contribute to the project.
But at this time, the only meaningful contribution I feel I can make is to
report bugs as I find them.

Once again, my apologies to everyone.

John

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 11:17 PM, Matt Newville
<newville at cars.uchicago.edu>wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 10:31 PM, Jeremy Thorbahn <thorbahn at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I can't help but wonder how much of this message chain is set forth by a
> missed Star Wars reference.
>
> Oh, I think if the reference had been missed, neither Bruce nor I
> would have responded.    The implication was that John, perhaps in
> jest, feels that Bruce should do what John wants or be punished.
> John is woefully misunderstanding the nature of the relationship here.
>
> Of course, anything that appears in any way to be threatening is
> inappropriate.   I assume it was a bad joke, but if it occurs again,
> it will be dealt with in the easiest manner (banishment from the
> list), rather than spending the time to write a response.
>
> --Matt

John Hayes

The Grosvenor Group
Dept. of Chemistry
University of Saskatchewan

Two fish are in a tank. One turns to the other and says, "You man the guns,
I'll drive."