[Ifeffit] Demeter administator mode.

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Wed Feb 13 08:18:25 CST 2013

On Tuesday, February 12, 2013 04:19:55 PM you wrote:
> Dear Bruce,
> I am researcher from ICIQ, Spain and we produced some data at ALBA
> synchrotron light facility in Barcelona ,Spain.
 My question is about
> Demeter software in administrator mode. It works in only admin mode so it
> can’t be used to normal users in our institute workgroup. Is there any
> solution to this problem ?

Atul,

First off, I am CCing my answer to the Ifeffit mailing list, which is
the appropriate venue for questions about the software.  You can join
the mailing list at

Secondly, I provide instructions for submitting a useful and
actionable bug report at

   http://bruceravel.github.com/demeter/pods/bugs.pod.html

The advantage of following those instructions is that, including
sending the log file with the initial report, it expedites my ability
to understand the problem you are having.

Finally, I think I recognize the problem you are having.  Demeter
attempts to write to "%APPDAtA%\demeter" where %APPDATA% is typically
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\ on Win 7 and C:\Documents and
Settings\<username>\Application Data\ on Win XP.  In the last release,
I attempted to fix a problem whereby "%APPDAtA%\demeter" was not
created at the time of installation.  Athena or Artemis would then try
to write to that location and fail because that folder did not exist.

My "solution" in the last release was not correct and I hope to fix
that in the upcoming release.  The likliest solution to your problem
is to create that folder by hand for each user, then try running the
programs again.

If that does not work, then please report back *to* *the* *mailing*
*list* and I will again try to figure out what the problem is.

Regards,

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

 Homepage:    http://xafs.org/BruceRavel