[Ifeffit] amorphous metal alloys EXAFS spectra to be fitted with Artemis

"Piotr J. Bardziński" bardzinski at poczta.fm
Sat Aug 24 16:18:36 CDT 2013

Dear Sir or Madam,

I got a normalized Fe K-edge EXAFS spectrum for my amorphous 7-component
alloy sample, for which I know its atomic percent composition.

I need to find out the interatomic distances between the Fe and the
other atoms present in the alloy (identify the peaks in R-space) as well
as how many atoms of each element is surrounding the absorbing iron atom
(coordination number).

To meet my goal, I think I need to fit the R-space Fourier transform of
my EXAFS spectrum in a program like Artemis. Unfortunately, I haven`t
found any tutorial discussing how to deal with amorphous sample with
unknown organization of the atoms. When you are about to prepare an
atomic model in Artemis for fitting, you need to build a model with an
initial interatomic distances, atomic coordination number, etc, but all
that is obviously unknown to me. I know nothing about the short range
order in my material and I want to learn it from the experiment itself
(note that itcan be and most probably is different from the one present
in crystalline structures). So, my question is, could somebody tell me
how to deal with such system using the Artemis, what type of initial
models for fitting should be prepared?

All of your help will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Piotr Bardziński,