[Ifeffit] crystal analyzer and microprobe

Ashley Norris ashley.norris at earth.ox.ac.uk
Fri Aug 16 14:15:13 CDT 2013

Something to consider would be modelling the entire thing in Penepma.

In theory you could create a lookup table of observed ratios vs actual
ratios, and then use that once you take your measurements to try to get
back to the actual ratio.

I'm replying to you directly because it's Friday afternoon and I'm
worried that I may have misunderstood something about your question.

Regards,

Ash

PS: Some links to get you started, if not already familiar with Penepma.

http://www.geology.wisc.edu/~johnf/AGU-2007_JHF.pdf

http://pypenelope.sourceforge.net/code/penelopetools/api/program/penepma.html

http://www.probesoftware.com/Technical.htm

On 16/08/2013 19:36, Matthew Marcus wrote:
> Yup, the idea is indeed to get an absolute ratio.  Not only that, but
> these are particles of size greater than the absorption depth of the Ni
> fluorescence in the Fe matrix, but not MUCH greater.  The approach we've
> taken here is to plot the count ratio va. Fe counts as we move on the
> sample, and extrapolate to 0 counts.  I'll pass the info to the
> interested parties.
>     mam
>
> On 8/16/2013 11:04 AM, Matt Newville wrote:
>> Hi Matthew,
>>
>> On Aug 16, 2013 11:53 AM, "Matthew Marcus" <mamarcus at lbl.gov
>> <mailto:mamarcus at lbl.gov>> wrote:
>>  >
>>  > I know that this is somewhat off-topic, but the list reaches all
>> the right people.  I have some collaborators who are looking to measure
>>  > the Ni/Fe ratio is particles of Fe-rich material.  This ratio is <<
>> 1, and they need a non-destructive probe.  A microprobe with a crystal
>>  > analyzer would do the job nicely.  Here at ALS, we have the
>> microprobe, but not the analyzer.  Can anyone recommend a beamline
>> that has both?
>>  > I'm pretty sure there's at least one at APS; a beamline number and
>> a name would help a lot.  Thanks.
>>  >         mam
>>  > Ifeffit mailing list
>>  > Ifeffit at millenia.cars.aps.anl.gov
>> <mailto:Ifeffit at millenia.cars.aps.anl.gov>
>>
>> Both GSE (13 IDE) and PNC (20 IDC) have wavelength dispersive
>> spectrometers that could work.  Was the idea to get an absolute
>> ratio?  That can be challenging for large dynamic ranges with any
>> detector, but can be done.
>>
>> --Matt

---
Ashley Norris