[Ifeffit] crystal analyzer and microprobe

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Fri Aug 16 13:04:24 CDT 2013

Hi Matthew,

On Aug 16, 2013 11:53 AM, "Matthew Marcus" <mamarcus at lbl.gov> wrote:

> I know that this is somewhat off-topic, but the list reaches all the
right people.  I have some collaborators who are looking to measure
> the Ni/Fe ratio is particles of Fe-rich material.  This ratio is << 1,
and they need a non-destructive probe.  A microprobe with a crystal
> analyzer would do the job nicely.  Here at ALS, we have the microprobe,
but not the analyzer.  Can anyone recommend a beamline that has both?
> I'm pretty sure there's at least one at APS; a beamline number and a name
would help a lot.  Thanks.
>         mam

Both GSE (13 IDE) and PNC (20 IDC) have wavelength dispersive spectrometers
that could work.  Was the idea to get an absolute ratio?  That can be
challenging for large dynamic ranges with any detector, but can be done.