[Ifeffit] Recommendations for DFT/computational chemistry software?

Matthew Marcus mamarcus at lbl.gov
Fri Aug 16 11:45:25 CDT 2013

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression that if you don't know exactly what you're doing, these programs will cheerfully
return wrong answers.  There seem to be many parameters and choices to be made.  I once looked at Quantum Espresso but gave up when I saw that
the script for doing MD on a single water molecule ran for over a page of incomprehensible code.  I didn't see anything that looked like a
step-by-step tutorial or manual.  Gaussian with the Gaussview UI is simple enough for an experimentalist like me to use; are there better
packages out there which are as well?

I also get the impression that you need some pretty hefty compute power.  A Linux system is probably to be preferred over Windows.

One of these days I should learn Python, not just for this stuff.
	mam