[Ifeffit] tracking atom positions

Matthew Marcus mamarcus at lbl.gov
Wed Aug 7 17:10:58 CDT 2013

Funny, I thought I did start a new thread...

YES!  Management of inequivalent sites would be very nice indeed!  As it is now, you have to manually make multiple FEFF files, keeping
track of the stoichiometry, and setting up multiple FEFF calculations, keeping track yourself of what parameters should be in common.
The common thread here is a tighter integration of the structure description (ATOMS, feff.inp) with the FEFF calculation and fitting.

Good catch about the degeneracy; I hadn't thought of that, but you're right.  I wonder if it would make sense to put in a kludge which,
for small enough breaking of the degeneracy, pretends that they're still degenerate but adjusts ss accordingly.  I guess the S02 and
dr would also get small adjusts because the nearer atoms would be slightly over-represented compared to the farther ones.  This
kludge would shorten the path list, making it less confusing, and also perhaps save computation time.  There would have to be an alarm
set for when k*(distance splitting) is too big to allow this approximation.  An intermediate case would bring in C3 and C4, in a
fixed relation to the distortion parameters.  All of this adjusting would, prefereably, be 'behind the scenes', invisible to the user
unless he asks to see it.

As you show, you need crystal-symmetry operations.  In some cases, the cluster being simulated is not derived from a crystal
structure, but is instead a molecule or hypothetical structure.  At first sight, this might seem to imply a need for two kinds
of structures, crystalline and non-crystalline.  However, a P1 space group and 100A lattice parameter should take care of the
description of non-crystalline clusters.  That's how I've used Diamond to display clusters.  Another complication is that the
distortion you want to implement will often reduce the local symmetry.  Thus, maybe it's best after all to work at the feff.inp
level, requiring the user to parameterize the movement of each atom.  Thus, in octahedral example I gave, if the central atom
is at 000 and the neighbors at (r,0,0),(-r,0,0),(0,r,0),(0,-r,0),(0,0,r),(0,0,-r), then the displacements might be (for a 100 distortion),
(xoff,0,0) for the central atom and (dr,0,0),(-dr,0,0),(0,dr,0),(0,-dr,0),(0,0,dr),(0,0,-dr) for the neighbors, in a first model.  The next
model might have the lower symmetry of the site reflected in the neighbor motions:
(dr+xoff*fp,0,0),(-dr+xoff*fm,0,0),(0,dr,0),(0,-dr,0),(0,0,dr),(0,0,-dr) with fp,fm being  the fraction of the motion of the central atom
communicated to the atoms "in front of" and "behind" it.

Now, integrating this with the inequivalent-site manager could be a bit tricky.  There would have to be some way to make sure that
the scattering atoms that were actually the same for the multiple FEFFs get the same motions - or not.  If you have a deterministic
structure, where every unit cell is the same or there's only one unit cell, such as in a cluster, then you need to do that correspondence.
On the other hand, imagine something like a doped spinel.  The dopant goes in either the octahedral or tetrahedral site, causing lattice
distortion in its near-neighbor shells either way.  If it's dilute, then the two FEFF runs correspond to a single substituent in the
octahedral site, with distortion around that site, and a single tetrahedral substituent with distortion around the tetrahedral site.  These
are different patterns of stom movement.  Hmmm.  The more I think about this, the more complicated it gets to deal with it in general.  It's
beginning to seem like one needs a new scripting or graphical language for describing this stuff.  That argument suggests that it will
be necessary to back off and start with some practical subset which is sophisticated enough to handle a useful fraction of problems but
simple enough for some busy person to write and the rest of us to learn and use.  A danger is that the tool becomes like Photoshop or Word -
filled with features 99% of which go unused by 99% of us.  When us 99%ers need a 1% feature, we don't even know it exists or how to use it.

As Deep Thought put it, "Tricky"!

	mam