[Ifeffit] FEFF report: Hard tests failed in fovrg.

Matthew Marcus mamarcus at lbl.gov
Wed Aug 7 14:35:24 CDT 2013

To extend Bruce's points a little:
1.	It's not always trivial to plug in a different version of FEFF.  The input files are not always compatible,
and there's a bit of screwing with settings required to make it work.  It would be nice to have a plug-compatible version
with more advanced code under the hood.  Is that what FEFF9L is, assuming it exists?

2.	The later FEFFs use a different structure, in which the modules are separate programs.  Can this be integrated
into Artemis?  Going back to point 1, any "FEFF9L" would need to be a wrapper which executes the modules in correct sequence.

3.	Who is it who decides what version is allowed to be freely released?  Perhaps that person or entity should be
approached?

4.	In some institutions, ordering software is a special hassle, however little it costs.

5.	Is there some documentation showimg how FEFF(>6) is better than FEFF6L for EXAFS alone?  Under what conditions
should we be dissatisfied with FEFF6L?  I know that FEFF9 has all kinds of nice things that it does, but many of these are
irrelevant for Artemis use.
	mam