[Ifeffit] Split white line in TcO2 spectra and similar Tc(IV) octahedral environments

Wayne Lukens wwlukens at lbl.gov
Tue Aug 6 11:22:09 CDT 2013

Hi Fred,

The second resonance is due to scattering, mainly the multiple scattering
path involving the trans oxygen ligands of the octahedral Tc coordination
sphere, I believe. In other words, it is the beginning of the EXAFS
spectrum. These features are particularly prominent for Tc.

This is the characteristic XANES spectrum of Tc(IV) in an octahedral
environment with O neighbors.

Sincerely,

Wayne

ps If you look at the theoretical scattering curves from Feff, you can
identify which scattering path is responsible for this peak. If I recall
correctly, it is the path that I mentioned, but I may misremember.

Wayne Lukens
Staff Scientist
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab