[Ifeffit] data point limits in Athena?

Robert Gordon ragordon at alumni.sfu.ca
Mon Aug 5 00:42:42 CDT 2013

Hi Jorg,

Matt is on to the problem...Too many numbers... I deleted
columns 2 - 58. Working with columns labelled Ioni1,2 and 3
was ok, with little problem reading it in to Athena 0.9.17 even with the
2460
lines. I say "little" because it does take several seconds on my system
for Athena to read in the file so I can select columns. If I reduce it to
just the 4 columns that are of most value to an end user (E, and detectors),
it opens in about 1s. Notepad takes about that long to open the original
file.
So the problem seems to be not so much one of length, but girth - an obese
datafile trying to squeeze into a hefty array-size/memory limit.

I would not consider this an Athena issue. There are numerous columns
in the datafile that are constants, many zero. The number of lines could
also be improved.
The data was collected at 0.3 eV steps from 6932 to 7700 eV and that
certainly
oversamples for most of that range.

..and this is the second instance I have seen of obese datafiles...starting
to wonder how prevalent this issue is or will be, particularly when
beamlines
use large multi-element detectors.

regards,
Robert