[Ifeffit] L-edge soft X-ray data in Artemis and Athena

Robert Meulenberg robert.meulenberg at maine.edu
Thu Apr 11 07:45:24 CDT 2013

I have never used Athena to work up soft x-ray data, but I assume it is
possible.  But you run into issues of not having enough pre- or post-edge
data points to do a proper Athena-type normalization.  Bruce and co. have
discussed this many times on this list.  .

Beside this, fitting your early transition metal soft x-ray data "like
usual K-edge data" would make no sense.  There is no EXAFS information in
this energy range (the L_3 and L_2 edges are only separated by 10-15 eV
depending on the edge) and these edges contain strong electron correlation
effects (multiplet effects), not reproduced with FEFF.  You need crystal
field codes like deGroot's (http://www.anorg.chem.uu.nl/CTM4XAS/) and this
particular code does not fit your data, only produces a spectrum of X
transition metal in Y oxidation state in Z crystal field environment.

I hope this helps.

Rob Meulenberg

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 7:46 AM, Shoaib Muhammad <mshoaibce at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a research student and relatively new to XAFS. I have soft X-Ray
> L-edge data of Mn and Ni. Is it possible to process this data in Athena and
> then fit in Artemis like usual K-edge data?
>
> Thanks
> --
> Shoaib

Robert W. Meulenberg
Assistant Professor of Physics
Laboratory for Surface Science and Technology
Department of Physics and Astronomy
University of Maine
Orono, ME 04469
phone: 207-581-2245