[Ifeffit] (D) Athena closing on data import

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Thu Sep 27 10:53:02 CDT 2012

Jeremy,

The people at CLS who write the data acquisition software have two
habits that are really confounding to me and make it very hard for
Athena to deal well with XAS data from CLS.  My first gripe is that
the first column of data files from CLS beamlines is a completely
useless thing labeled as "Event-ID".  I don't know what purpose that
is supposed to serve, but having a a column of unchanging values in
the first column of an XAS data file tends to confuse Athena.  As a
result, I wrote a filetype plugin to massage data from CLS into a
format that Athena can read in successfully.  However, the CLS data
acquisition folks keep changing the content of their data files such
that my plugin becomes newly broken every so often.

Now that I have gotten that rant out of my system, here is how to
address your problem:

 1. Attached to this message is a file called HXMA.pm.  Replace the
    file C:\strawberry\perl\site\lib\Demeter\Plugins\HXMA.pm with the
    attached.

 2. I Athena, select "Plugin registry" from the main menu.  (See the
    attached screenshot.)  Make sure that the itenm labeled HXMA is
    selected.  Without that, the data will not be imported correctly.

This working version (a temporary thing, no doubt) of the plugin will
be included in the next release of the window installer and will be
checked into github shortly.

The remaining issue is that Athena deals very poorly with this
problem.  It is certainly unacceptible behavior for Athena to simply
crash without giving any kind of useful feedback.  I'll look into
fixing that.

Regards,

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

 Homepage:    http://xafs.org/BruceRavel