[Ifeffit] Why different installations of Atoms generate different results?

Tsuei, Ku-Ding tsuei at nsrrc.org.tw
Mon Sep 24 16:21:21 CDT 2012

Dear Matt,

Thanks for your positive reply. You are opening a door to solving my
problem. Attached are the fpj file generated by (D)Artemis and the apj
file by the old Artemis, respectively. They cannot be opened by Note Pad
nor by Word Pad, so I do not know their contents.

I actually generated these projects from scratch solely by File -> open
project or data (Au.inp) in (D)Artemis (or alternatively from Feff
calculations -> Add) or by File -> Open file in the old Artemis without
inputting any data. I just wish to look at what kind of EXAFS spectra
generated purely by calculation before using them for model fitting.

For (D)Artemis I went through Run Atoms -> Run Feff  and could select
any path from the path list, click chi(k) and then Plot selection. Of
course now I know how to change k-weighting in the Plot window. I know
which path is plotted because each path corresponds to a single curve
with its own color and the path names are included in the legend.

For the old Artemis I went through Run Atoms -> Run Feff and clicked
import All paths. Again I could select any path in the list and Plot k,
R and q with a choice of k-wieghting. Similarly each path corresponds to
a single curve with its own color and the path names are included in the
legend.

These steps illustrate how I copied these plots into the pdf file I sent
to the mail list.

The path page in the old Artemis contains some more information as Path
parameter math expression side by side to the Data & Paths list. They
are N:6, S02:amp, delE0:enot, delR:delr and sigma^2:ss. Indeed you are
right that changing them to numbers results in different plots. But I
thought I should keep the default path parameters intact because they
are supposed to be from calculation . Moreover, many of these path
parameters do not have similar math expressions in (D)Artemis. See the
next paragraph.

Yes, I followed Bruce's suggestion to go through  the on line manual of
(D)Artemis with loading the Au foil data first then up to The Path Page,
aiming for fitting real data. I could generate paths from the Atoms and
Feff window and plot their chi(k) and so on, identical to the previous
project without loading in Au foil data. I could drag the selected paths
from the Atoms window into the Data window. By selecting each path the
associated parameters are displayed, but only N and (blank)=(S02)(?)=1,
the rest fields are empty. Are they supposed to be filled like in the
old Artemis? I then copied in math expression contents exactly the same
as in the old Artemis. The plotting shows only the Au foil data. Then I
pressed the yellow Fit button. A message box pops up: Fit cannot
continue: You have not defined any fitting parameters. Could you offer
more clues to continue? The (fit) project up to now is saved and attached.

There are more problems running (D)Artemis on my Windows 7 Professional
SP1. The program can load in the saved (fit) project described above but
always crashes on loading the first project without Au foil data, no
matter which compatibility mode I choose before starting. It may be
worth noting that only the (D)Artemis DOS window appears when choosing
None, Windows 7, Windows Vista SP2, Windows Vista SP1, Windows Vista,
Windows 2000, and Windows NT 4.0 SP5. On choosing Windows XP SP3,
Windows XP SP2, Windows 98 / Windows Me, and Windows 95 there appears
another DOS window on startup, D:\strawberry\perl\bin\perl.exe. I am not
sure if these information may help solving the cash problem of
(D)Artemis. On the other hand, the old Artemis can load in the project
file with no Au foil data without crashing.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Ku-Ding