[Ifeffit] path averaging in Artemis

Ravel, Bruce bravel at bnl.gov
Wed Sep 19 10:08:36 CDT 2012

Hi Simon,

That's not a "problem".  Quite the contrary.  It is by design and is something that I consider to be one of the compelling new features in Artemis.

In the new versions of Atoms and Artemis, I introduced a concept called "fuzzy degeneracy" whose purpose is explicitly to combine together paths that differ very little in distance and/or scattering angle.  I explain it in some detail here:

http://bruceravel.github.com/demeter/dpg/feff/pathfinder.html#Fuzzydegeneracy

This feature is entirely user-configurable.  That is, you can set the width of the bin used to group together fuzzily degenerate paths.  In Artemis, this can be set by selecting "Edit Preferences" from the File menu on the main window.  In the preferences window, select "pathfinder" then "fuzz".  The default value is 0.003 Angstroms.  In your case, you want to set this to be 0.01 or smaller if, in fact, you want to retain the split degeneracy in your fitting model.  Click "Apply" or "Apply and save" and rerun the Feff calculation.

Setting the fuzz to 0 will make the new pathfinder behave just like the pathfinder in Feff6.

Regards,