[Ifeffit] Question on Glitch in FEFF for Ru EXAFS measurements

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Mon Nov 26 16:29:27 CST 2012

I'm sorry.  No part of #1 was clear to me.  I never really know how to
respond to these Joycean descriptions.

If you expect help from the people on this list you need to do a
better job asking questions.  Some hints can be found at
http://bruceravel.github.com/demeter/pods/help.pod.html

As for #2, there are any number of reasons why your XAS and XRD data
may not say the same thing.  If the XRD explained all aspects of the
coordination geometry, why bother measuring XAS?  Or to say that
another way, since the XAS and XRD seem to be telling you different
stories, don't you now have a real research problem to work on?

Perhaps some of the Ru has precipitated out in another form.  Perhaps
the XRD is faulty.  Perhaps your sample suffered radiation damage and
changed form.  Perhaps your sample wasn't what you thought it was.  My
point is that you should at least consider challenging your experiment
and any assumptions about your sample before presuming Feff and Artemis
are to blame for your woes.

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

 Homepage:    http://xafs.org/BruceRavel