[Ifeffit] how to obtain average vacancy files?

María Elena Montero Cabrera elena.montero at cimav.edu.mx
Thu May 31 22:56:46 CDT 2012

Dear friends from the Ifeffit list, specially Sebastiano and Bruce,

Thank you very much for your advices. Here I am giving you a better
explanation of the physical problem we are facing, and then I´ll give the
approach we will try to follow now.

We are working on a 50-50 Cr-Fe maghemite, which structure is known by high
resolution XRD and Rietveld method. The synthesis of such a maghemite is
difficult and some magnetic properties are being measured.  We know, also,
that pure Fe maghemite structure at T=10 K has ordered vacancies. We are
trying to verify by XAFS if the local environment of Cr or Fe absorbers
reflects ordered vacancies.

With the aid of crystallographic codes we modeled the various vacancy
configurations, including the one corresponding to the ordered Fe maghemite
structure. By the Rietveld analysis and by the XANES Cr spectrum we know
that Cr occupies only octahedral sites. We have tried to fit with Artemis
the experimental Cr and Fe EXAFS spectra, comparing them with one model of
the ordered vacancies structure. The results are not the best, and then we
“suspect” that the model of ordered vacancies is not the good one.

 As I have written before, our idea was to obtain “average vacancies” FEFF
files and to work with the fully occupied magnetite structure, but with
some kind of “gray” atoms. These gray atoms would be the average of
vacancies and Cr or Fe atoms in octahedral sites. After your comments, it
seems too difficult to obtain the corresponding FEFF functions.

As a way for testing the disordered model, we are now working on the much
easier problem of fitting the magnetite structure to our EXAFS spectra and
to obtain the corresponding interatomic distances and amplitudes. We hope
their interpretation will be also easier than before.

Thanks a lot again for your attention. Best regards

Maria Elena

2012/5/31 <elena.montero at cimav.edu.mx>

> Dear friends:
> Thank you very much for your kind answers. Believe me, now I am in a
> hurry, and I hope this evening I'll answer with more details.
> Regards
> Maria Elena
> Enviado desde mi oficina móvil BlackBerry® de Telcel

María Elena

Dra. María Elena Montero Cabrera
Centro de Investigación en Materiales Avanzados (CIMAV)
Miguel de Cervantes 120, Compl. Ind. Chihuahua
Chihuahua CP 31109, Chih. México
Tel (614) 4391123