[Ifeffit] Question: About using polarization and ellipticity cards in FEFF

Anatoly I Frenkel afrenke2 at yu.edu
Sun May 13 13:56:00 CDT 2012

In the same situation as yours I used both cards, Polarization and Ellipticity. If you use only Ellipticity card, without Polarization, you get spherically averaged XAFS which will not take into account texture you are concerned about.
If you use only Polarization card, without Ellipticity, you will assume linear polarization which is guaranteed to work correctly only if your polarization is along the surface normal to the film but may not work if it is within the plane of the film since the film is rotated. Depending on the in-plane symmetry (3-fold or higher), linear polarization will give the same result as circular (you can check that for your particular structure) but it is more safe to use circular (besides, is just one extra card, so why not to use it, just to make sure).

Anatoly