[Ifeffit] Decrease LCF Fitting Computational Time in Athena

BradleyW Miller Miller.BradleyW at epamail.epa.gov
Tue Mar 20 15:22:24 CDT 2012

Hi,

I have been given access to a Virtual Machine (VM) with 8 GB of RAM and 4
CPU's with the hopes of decreasing the time required to do LCF fittings. I
have large set of environmental samples from different waste streams
and/or contaminate sources. Currently I have 14 standards and I wanted to
run a LCF model fitting up to 4 standards. This results in 1456 fits if I
selected "fit all combinations". This takes about 100 mins. to run 1
samples (I have 60+ and more coming).

It appears that Athena is constrained to using at most 25% of the
available CPU and the physical memory is limited to 22% .

1) Is there a way I could change Athena's settings to take advantage of
this VM's multiple CPU's and larger RAM?

2) Or if Athena can't handle multiple CPU's is there a way to increase the
maximum percentage of the CPU being used? It appears that Athena is
limited to accessing up to 25% of the CPU's. One CPU of the four appears
to be processing a little more data than the other 3 CPU's  (when viewed
on the Task Manager, Performance tab). When more CPU's were added to the
VM,  computational time remained similar... if not worse.

3) Similarly the physical memory is limited to 22% of available memory
(when viewed on the Task Manager, Performance tab) when Athena is running
the LCF models as well. Could Athena's setting be changed to increase the
% of RAM available for LCF fitting?

4) Any other suggestions?

I spoke with my IT guy who said he believes the software is limiting my
hopes of decreasing the computational time. I'd love to call it all
contaminated dirt, rent some big equipment like D-9 dozers, big trucks, a
couple barges and dump it into the ocean... but we don't have that much
$$$ for remediation and my kids eat fish. That's is a joke of course...
my kids don't eat fish  :-)

btw Thanks for your time and for use of the software!

Respectfully,
Bradley W. Miller, Ph.D.
Post Doctoral Fellow
Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education
U. S. Environmental Protection Agency
National Risk Management Research Laboratory
Land Remediation and Pollution Control Division
5995 Center Hill Avenue, Cincinnati, OH  45224-1702

www.tinyurl.com/bwmiller

The great tragedy of Science—the slaying of beautiful hypothesis by an
ugly fact.— Thomas H. Huxley

Views or Opinions expressed in this email is solely representative of the
sender and does not represents those of the EPA or any other agency.