[Ifeffit] Fe K-Edge in Zirconium alloys and flattening effect

Matthew Marcus mamarcus at lbl.gov
Thu Mar 1 16:29:37 CST 2012

I haven't looked at the prj file, but I can say a couple of things:
1.	There's no reason why metallic Fe should look like the precipitate.  The binary Fe-Zr phase disgram shows several compounds, of
which the most Zr-rich is Zr3Fe.  This is lighter in Fe than your 40 w/o, but it's notoriously hard to quantify XRF when you're dealing
with samples that aren't infinitely thick or infinitely thin.  I don't know if MicroMatter makes a Zr standard, but if they do, you could
use these to quantify in the thin-sample limit.

2.	Overabsorption could be a problem if there's that much Fe.  Similarly, the Fe-Zr mechanical mixture could be polluted by
thickness/overabsorption effects if the Fe grains are more than a couple of microns across.  One way around that would be to measure
in electron yield, if the beamline offers it.
	mam