[Ifeffit] Larch / Ifeffit2 development status

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Thu Jun 28 16:29:21 CDT 2012

On Thursday, June 28, 2012 04:13:26 PM Matt Newville wrote:
> I think a key issue will be how well Bruce (and I?) can make the
> switch so that Demeter is using Larch...

I have mentioned this to Matt privately, but I will say so here as
well.

Matt first began talking about Ifeffit2 around the same time that I
started working on Demeter.  One of my original design goals was to
make it easy (well, perhaps I should say "tractable") to make the
switch from Ifeffit to Ifeffit2.

I think I have done that.  The interaction between Demeter and Ifeffit
is completely abstracted using a template system and funneled through
a single choke point in the code.  Once I understand Larch's syntax
and create the appropriate set of templates, switching from Ifeffit to
Larch should be as simple as flipping a switch.  That's the theory,
anyway.

I estimate that it will take me about a month to write and test a
complete set of Larch templates.

Then we will have to figure out packaging issues on the various
systems.

It seems within the realm of possibility that the adventurous could
begin testing Demeter+Larch by the end of the year.  But please don't
hold me to that!

That said, no one will be happier than me to have Ifeffit's memory
limitations go away!

PS: Even the non-adventurous should be using the current version of
Demeter+Ifeffit, as I told Mr. Yadav yesterday.

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

 Homepage:    http://xafs.org/BruceRavel