[Ifeffit] Larch / Ifeffit2 development status

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Thu Jun 28 16:13:26 CDT 2012

Hi Scott,

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 12:45 AM, Scott Calvin
<scalvin at sarahlawrence.edu> wrote:
> This is great to hear, Matt! While I'm going to be too busy to give it a real look in the next few months,
> after that I'll be very interested. Writing it in Python will make it possible for me to compile the code
> myself, which I never succeeded in doing with the Fortran-based programs on the Mac. That means I
>  may be able to help add new features and the like.

Great.  "A few months" is the right time-scale for me too.   I'm now
confident that it's going to work and be much better than the existing
situation, especially in that there is a chance that you and others
might be willing to work with the code, possibly building new
algorithms....

I also have no doubt that the transition from Ifeffit 1 to Ifeffit 2
will expose a few unforeseen issues, but am expecting that we should
be able to make that transition over the next year.   I think a key
issue will be how well Bruce (and I?) can make the switch so that
Demeter is using Larch...