[Ifeffit] Unsuccessful launching of (D)Athena, (D)Artmis and (D)Hephaestus

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Wed Jun 27 12:18:15 CDT 2012

Hi Prof. Guo, Bruce,

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Bruce Ravel <bravel at bnl.gov> wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 27, 2012 10:04:22 PM Huaming Guo wrote:
>> > Hello Bravel,
>> >
>> > Attached please find the log reports. These may be the issues leading to
>> > the unsuccessful launching of (D)Athena, (D)Artmis and (D)Hephaestus. It
>> > would be great if you can give me hands. Thanks.
>> >
>> > Regards
>> >
>> > Huaming
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> The log files this gentleman attached to his post have a bit of
> chinese in them that Google Translate translates as "Invalid access to
> memory".
>
> This, then, is the reason that the Ifeffit wrapper is unable to load
> the Ifeffit DLL.
>
> Does anyone have any insight on what this means?

Is Ifeffit.dll the (sorry if this confusing) the actuall Ifeffit dll
or one made as part
of the perl-ifeffit interface?   I would be willing to believe any of
the following:
  o  the error is right, and it really is a memory issue.
  o  the dll can't find something it needs to load, and gives this message.
  o  there is a locale problem that's causing this.  As you say, this is a
     known and hard-to-fix issue with Ifeffit 1.  Hopefully Larch/Ifeffit2
     will mitigate this at least to some extent.

When I tried running Dartemis from the Strawberry Demeter windows
download (0.9.9, several months old now), I couldn't get the programs
to run from the start menu, but could run them with:
  C:\strawberry\perl\bin\perl.exe dartemis

This may be because I have a different Perl installed as well, though
I'm not sure.  Anyway, I couldn't get any sort of similar failure.

My guess is that it's locale-related.