[Ifeffit] Modeling Pt/C Catalyst Under WGS Conditions

Branko Zugic Branko.Zugic at tufts.edu
Fri Jul 27 10:22:34 CDT 2012

Hello,

I am trying to interpret some in-situ Quick-EXAFS and EXAFS data that I
took under water-gas shift conditions (CO + H2O diluted in He) on some Pt/C
catalysts. I'm finding that the Pt-Pt and Pt-O fits using foil data, Pt-O
standards, and quick 1st shell approximations for Pt-O aren't that great.
After looking through the literature I came across some papers (i.e.
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jp983283e) that use the Ir-O and Ir-C
interactions from Ir4(CO)12 to approximate Pt-O and Pt-C interactions. I
then found some crystallographic tables for Ir4(CO)12 (below), but it's
unclear to me whether I can use this to create an atoms inp file (and
whether the data is for the structure I'm looking for or the referenced
Ir(CO)3). So far I've had no luck.

Is this a reasonable approach to this problem? Is the information I have
enough to do this? Any suggestions as to where I may be able to find the
crystallographic data I am looking for?

Branko Zugic

--
PhD Candidate
Tufts University, Chemical and Biological Engineering