[Ifeffit] HELP! EXAFS calculation for "+2" charged molecule

"Dr. Dariusz A. Zając" kicaj at ifj.edu.pl
Tue Jan 17 01:08:40 CST 2012

as I remember,  is written that feff underestimates ion's charge 5-10
times.
ION {no. of ion}  {its ionization}
below I cite the information from JFeff help card:

***
  The ION card ionizes all atoms with unique potential index ipot.
Negative values and non-integers are permitted, however ionicities
larger than 2 and less than  -1 often yield unphysical results. Our
experience with charge transfers using the SCF card suggests values for
ionization about 5-10 times smaller than the formal oxidation state. The
ION card is probably not needed if the potential is self-consistent.
However, it can be used to put some total charge on a cluster. In this
case we suggest using the same ionicity for all atoms in the cluster
(i.e. total ionization divided by number of atoms). For example, for
diatomics like Br2, the fully relaxed configuration has a formal
ionization of 1 on the scattering atom. Because of charge transfer, the
actual degree of ionization is much smaller. In non-self-consistent
calculations the default (non-ionized) scattering potentials are often
superior to those empirically ionized, and the results should be checked
both ways. If ION is omitted, the atoms are not ionized by default.
   * Simulates effective ionization for formal valence state +1
   * ipot, ionization
   ION  1  0.2
***