[Ifeffit] fitting sulphur using standards by Athena

Matthew Marcus mamarcus at lbl.gov
Tue Feb 14 09:33:38 CST 2012

To reiterate a point which is often not understood - dilution won't fix overabsorption if the particles of the concentrated material
which are mixed in with the diluent are too big.  For concentrated S compounds, "too big" is in the low microns.
When I run a S standard, I do it in total electron yield to avoid this problem.  When I fit a S spectrum, I use a crude
oveabsorption model with a single parameter which is treated as an unknown fitting parameter, with the assumption
that the reference spectra were collected in a way which avoids overabsorption.
    mam