[Ifeffit] Re Iffeffit LCF

Niken Wijaya niken.wijaya at monash.edu
Wed Feb 8 19:03:03 CST 2012

Dear Prof Fred,

Thank you for your reply. I collected the data in fluorescence mode.

We have indeed anticipated the self-absorption effect and analysed the
same standards mixtures that were diluted so that the S content is less
than 10%.
The spectrum of disulphide, however, showed different features as those
found in undiluted one (disulphide-10 vs disulphide), as you can see in
the ATHENA file I attached here (the diluted samples were labelled with
-10 after their name) which eventually alters the samples' spectra.

I have also done the LCF on these diluted samples and the fitting
results are not as what it should be:

S2: ~20% disulphide and 80% thiophene. LCF reported 1.6% disulphide and
98.4% thiophene.
S3: ~60% disulphide and 40% thiophene. LCH reported 11.2% disulphide and
88.8% thiophene.
S4: ~80% disulphide and 20% thiophene. LCH reported 82.4% disulphide and
17.6% thiophene. (This surprisingly gave a better fitting than the
undiluted one, as I mentioned in the previous mail).

I noticed that the intensity of samples S2-10 and S3-10 is higher than
both of the standard spectra (thiophene-10 and disulphide-10) which I
presumed to be the main cause for the incorrect fitting results obtained
for these samples. Do you have any suggestions on how to tackle this issue?

You most probably right that the samples are not well-mixed (the
thiophene we analyzed is dibenzothiophene and it is in powder form).
Also we only use a small amount of it for the analysis.

Regards,
Niken