[Ifeffit] Sudden Difficulty with Importing Data into Athena

Tony Kelly tkelly72 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 11:22:34 CST 2012

Hopefully this is not long winded, but I want to be as detailed with
the problem as I can be.  In the past, I have never had difficulty
importing data into Athena, given it was formatted properly.  It was
working as recently as last night, but suddenly I have a problem
today.

1.  I open Athena
2.  I go to File->Open Files
3.  I click on the data file to bring me to the window where I choose
Energy, Numerator, Denominator for the data and any reference spectra,
etc
4.  I choose the Energy, Numerator and Denominator

This is when the first moment of "oddness" happens... I don't get a
plot.  Normally, I would get a plot of the spectra I am about to
import to know if I selected the correct columns with the correct sign
(and whether a Log is needed).

5.  Confused, I continue anyway and import my choices.
6.  I then get the following error from Athena:

The following problems were found for group "Fe.060"
 1  : The edge energy is unset
 2  : The kmin for the forward transfer is negative (-2)
You should fix these values before continuing analysis of these data.

Note 1: I was trying with some old data that I have analyzed in the
past from Athena through Artemis and know to be okay for analysis.
Note 2: I then tried studying some MnO spectra by importing that data
taken during the 2011 XAFS Summer School in Chicago taken from APS.  I
know these text files to work, as we looked at them AT the summer
school.
Note 3:  As a last resort, I tried downloading the Fe example from the
Athena website (as you can see above from Fe.060), but it can't even
read this in.
Note 4: Athena CAN open old projects where the data was already
imported without problems... it just seems I can't start a new project
and import data into it successfully.  I have tried searching all
through the internet for anyone who had the error above or my
difficulties to no avail.  I have tried making sure the line breaks
were correct by resaving data into new files through textwrangler and
even going through vim in a terminal, to no avail.
Note 5: As a last resort, I reinstalled iXAFS, but this hasn't fixed
the problem.

Anyone have any suggestions?  Am I suddenly forgetting a step in the
data import process?

Thanks,

Tony Kelly
Air Force Institute of Technology